HeartShare assists individuals with autism spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities and provides vital services to children and families.

authentic comodo secure
residents playing a game

OUR PROGRAMS: Residential Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for HeartShare's Residential Services?

Individuals with a primary diagnosis of a developmental disability are eligible to receive residential services. This can include diagnoses such as: mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, and neurological impairment, among others. Individuals applying for residential services need to have, or be eligible for, Medicaid and other entitlements, such as Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). HeartShare's Central Intake Office can make referrals to service coordinators who can assist in applying for these benefits, if necessary.

What are HeartShare's Residential Services?

Moving into a home of one's own is an important step toward independence for adults who are developmentally disabled. HeartShare's comprehensive system of residential services offers a broad range of supports to assist individuals in leading a life full of activities, challenges, learning, dignity, and friendships. Our residents lead a life just as anyone would in the community: working or attending a day services program, maintaining their home, participating in recreational and cultural activities in the community, and establishing good relations with neighbors.

In addition, HeartShare welcomes the involvement of family members for both special occasions and daily life. Family, friends, and advocates are regarded as important members of the team in reviewing and planning for goals, needs, desires, and activities.

Does HeartShare have group homes?

HeartShare's services include an extensive network of group homes. These residences offer children and adults with developmental disabilities a normal home environment in a family-like setting with around-the-clock supervision from caring and well-trained staff. We also offer a range of clinical supports to all residents, depending upon individual needs. HeartShare operates residences for people who have severe physical and cognitive disabilities, as well as for people capable of greater self-sufficiency. The size of a group home may range from 2 to 14 people, depending on the type of program at each location.

Does HeartShare have Supported Apartments?

For adults with developmental disabilities who can live in the community with greater independence, HeartShare's Community Living Program offers the opportunity to have both an apartment to share with one or two peers, as well as a coordinated program of services and supports. The amount of support from our staff varies according to each individual's needs.

Does HeartShare offer Residential Services for children?

HeartShare operates two group homes for children with autism spectrum disorders. The homes are located in Brooklyn and the children attend The HeartShare School.

Where are HeartShare's programs located?

HeartShare operates group homes and supportive apartments throughout Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. We pride ourselves on maintaining beautiful homes in safe and welcoming communities.

Is there a wait list for Residential Services?

Each year, HeartShare has a very limited number of opportunities for Residential Services in its existing residences. As vacancies in our existing homes arise, individuals from our wait list are reviewed and may be offered an opportunity to participate in a screening. Screenings are also offered for individuals who are interested in being part of the development of a new home.

To initiate an application, HeartShare's Central Intake Office should be forwarded a referral packet that includes current psychological, psychosocial and medical evaluations. HeartShare's intake coordinator can also assist families in obtaining these evaluations, as well as applying for Medicaid Service Coordination. If you need assistance, contact the Central Intake Office at (718) 422-3227.

How do I know if my family member is ready for placement in a group home or supported apartment?

Applying for Residential Services is a big step that is hard to prepare for. At HeartShare, we encourage families to discuss their feelings and concerns openly and to seek the support and counsel of trusted people. Our staff is available to help with information, guidance and referrals.

How are HeartShare's programs funded?

HeartShare's Residential Services are funded by the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) with federal Medicaid support and supplemented by monthly benefit payments and/or wages from the individual consumer. Additional support is provided through HeartShare's generous donors.

How can I support HeartShare's Residential Services?

To make a donation to HeartShare's Residential Services, visit our Donate page.

Who do I contact for more information?

For more information or to complete an application, please contact HeartShare's Central Intake Office at (718) 422-3227 or email info@heartshare.org.